Friday 13 February 2009

Testing: Squirrel Crisps... Walker's Brand New Bag

Our local post office stocks the new Walkers crisps flavours so I've been stocking up every time I'm down there. Trying out the new flavours, because that's the kind of crazy/susceptible-to-advertising person I am.

So far my experiments have included the tasting of;


Builder's Breakfast

I was put off by the strong smell of ketchup, but the bizarre and rather disgusting egg flavour kept me interest for about 2/3rds of the bag.

Cajun Squirrel
Well.. I've never eaten or squirrell or had anything cajun flavoured so I don't know about the authenticity of the flavour. I asked a bonafide meat eater and he said that it 'tastes like cajun chicken'.

Fish 'n' Chips
i was hoping that this would just taste like really strong salt and vinegar crisps. this is probably because when I get fish and chips i drown everything in vinegar and just eat the chips and batter. Unsurprisingly these did actually taste of fish. Of all the fish crisps, this is the least offensive. If they'll keep people off the Scampi Fries I'm all for them.

Onion Bhaji
The taste of the onion bhaji... but not it's general bhajiness. This could be argued as a good thing since generally bhajis are soggy.

It says something about the British public that asked to come up with new novel crisp flavours the best they could come up with was 5 forms of take-away and something from a cookery programme.

They have all been fairly vile and I'm not holding out much hope for 'Chilli and Chocolate' either; meaning it's fingers crossed for 'Crispy Duck and Hoisin'.

So there you go, hopefully I've saved somebody out there approximately £2.48 and a few thousand calories.

No comments: